Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sticky Roast Chicken #24



I'm not exactly sure what sticky roast chicken means, but that is the title of the recipe calls it. Learning to make a roast chicken is the whole reason I started this blog. I've tried and failed in my opinion several times now. Since I have tried last, I dropped and broke my fancy chicken roaster that sits the chicken right side up. Today I'm using my large stoneware deep covered baker from Pampered Chef. Now I'll already admit to my first problem with this. You can put a 5 pound chicken in there, well my chicken in almost 6 pounds. Next time I'll know this, but I don't know what else to cook it in so in the oven it went.

The case:

Ingredients
* 4 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon white pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 onions, quartered
* 2 (4 pound) whole chickens

Directions
1. In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
3. Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

The ruling:
Since I only had 1 larger chicken, I put all the seasoning on one chicken and Googled cooking times. I found 20 minutes per pound at 350 several places, so this is what I did. A couple of reviewers said they cooked it higher for the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes so I cooked it at 425 for the first 15 and last 15 minutes, hoping to yield a crisper crust. This chicken was absolutely delicious! I know I will be making this again and again and again for years to come. I'm not sure if it was marinating it overnight, the recipe itself, or the Pampered Chef Baker, but whatever it is- it worked! I'm definitely going to use the marinating overnight technique and my PC Baker to try other recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment