Monday, February 15, 2010

Potato Skins #26


While browsing other "foodie/recipe" blogs I came across a group that was obsessed with Pioneer Woman cooking. Now, I believed this was some old fashioned/Betty Crocker type cookbook and didn't pay much attention. For Valentine's Day, Michael took me to Barnes and Noble, which only a book lover would understand. While browsing cookbooks, I saw one titled The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Now I'm not sure whether this is what that website was referring to, but if it is I'm hopping on the bandwagon! Ree Drummond is the author and I have now (in the past 3 days) read through this cookbook 5 times! Its more of a story, a love story at that. The recipes are simple and described beautifully. There are pictures for every step! This has officially become my favorite cookbook. After marking almost every page with Post-its, I decided to check out her website. And then I spent hours and hours there! There are tons of more recipes and photos and stories and oh so much more!

Okay, I've calmed down. But when I'm excited about something, I'm passionate about it. I admit I have a habit of collecting cookbooks and then not using them. This is a fight I have with my wonderful husband. He believes they are not only a waste of money, but of space as well. But what he doesn't understand is that yes I get most of my recipes from friends or the internet, but I still learn stuff and get ideas from those cookbooks. I'll admit I don't use cookbooks to cook as much. Well friends, that has all changed with The Pioneer Woman- you're going to be hearing about this one a lot!

Check out her website. There are at least 15 other recipes I found on there that I can't wait to try out!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/

So here is the first one! I just happened to have all these ingredients and needed to fix myself a lunch. I halved the recipe for just me- oh and because I just had 4 potatoes.

The case:
Ingredients:
* 8 slices thick-cut bacon
* 8 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
* Canola (I used EVOO)
* Kosher salt
* 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 cup sour cream
* 4 green onions, sliced (I omitted these)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Fry the bacon. (I cooked mine in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes)
3. Wash the potatoes and rub the skins literally with oil. (I added salt here) Place on a baking pan and bake for 45 minutes- 1 hour, until the potatoes are fork tender.
4. Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise.
5. Scoop out potatoes; leave a small margin of potato in the skins.
6. Brush both sides with oil and salt both sides liberally.
7. Place the skins cut side down on the pan and return to the oven.
8. Bake for 7 minutes and then flip to the other side.
9. Bake for 7 minutes more.
10.Grate cheddar.
11.Chop bacon into bits.
12.Sprinkle cheese into each potato skin.
13.Sprinkle with bacon and return to the oven just until the cheese melts.
14.Just before serving, spoon 1 Tablespoon sour cream on each skin and sprinkle with sliced green onions.

The ruling:
I knew I was that excited about this cookbook for a reason. These were absolutely divine! I scooped out to much of the potatoes, but that is an easy fix for next time. Plus I made loaded mashed potatoes with the leftover filling that are now in refrigerator for me to cook for supper! I ate these with ranch dressing. The sour cream didn't do that much for me. I can't believe how crisp and full of flavor these are. They're better than restaurant versions! These are the perfect tailgating food!

No comments:

Post a Comment