Monday, February 15, 2010
Parmesan Lemon Herb Brown Rice #28
I love rice, and its a perfect side dish for fish. This sounds different and looks delicious!
* 1 1/2 cups brown rice (long, medium or short)
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
* 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
* 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
* 1/8-1/4 cup fresh basil, minced (original is 1/4 cup)
* 1 lemon, juice and zest of (original is 1/2 tsp)
* 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F.
3. Spread rice in a 8x8 glass baking dish.
4. Combine the onion, oil, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 8-10 minutes.
5. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
6. Once broth is boiling immediately pour it over the rice.
7. Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil.
8. Bake until rice is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
9. Remove baking dish from oven, uncover, and fluff the rice with a fork.
10.Stir in the parmesan, parsley, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest and pepper.
11.Cover the dish with a clean kitchen towel and let stand for 5 minutes.
12.Uncover and let the rice stand for 5 minutes longer before serving.
Can I first say I love in the directions where it says to cover the dish with a clean kitchen towel? I mean what else would you use? I liked this rice. I didn't love it. It was very lemony. I probably won't be making it again.