Friday, January 22, 2010

Tomato Tortellini Soup #12


I'm calling this tomato soup weekend. I'm on a mission to find the best tomato soup. This came from this month's Taste of Home magazine.

The Case:
1 pkg. 9 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
2 cans tomato soup
2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken)
2 cups milk
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (used nice and shredded myself)
Additional cheese for topping

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile in a Dutch oven, combine soup, broth, milk, half and half, tomatoes, and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle bowl with additional cheese if desired.

The Ruling:
This was good, but definitely more watered down than what I'm looking for. The tortellini was a good change, but not life changing. I doubled the cheese in this and that made it a lot better. Parmesan cheese is a necessity for my ultimate tomato soup, but I want something thicker than this in the long run. I think to get that I'm going to have to use with fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes and pulse them in blender or food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment