Saturday, January 9, 2010

No Bean Chili #2 1-9-10



I love chili, but in general hate beans. Black beans are okay cooked the right way. (Lots of lime juice and cilantro) I really do enjoy a bowl of chili on a cold day, but mine is always extremely picked through. I saw this no bean chili recipe at allrecipes.com and new I had to give it a try.

The case:
Ingredients
* 1 pound ground beef
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Directions
1. Crumble the ground beef into a stock pot or large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook stirring frequently until beef is evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
2. Season with chili powder, oregano, cumin and hot sauce. Stir in the tomatoes and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 1 hour - or longer if you have time. Stir occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom.

The ruling:
I used all the ingredients as posted. Then, after viewing other chili recipes added a can of green chilies(I minced in food processor along with onion at beginning), one small can tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, a little brown sugar, and paprika. I served with sour cream, shredded cheese, and Fritos! Does it get any better? This was delicious! I love Frito pies but hate beans! This has saved me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment