Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cream Cheese Potato Soup #8 1-17-10


This is supposedly a top secret Panera recipe. I don't think I've ever had potato soup, or any other kind of soup, with cream cheese in it. It came from Recipezaar and had a lot of good ratings so I decided to try it.

The case:

Ingredients
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
* 1/4 cup minced onion
* 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into chunks

Directions
1. Combine broth, potatoes, onion, and spices.
2. Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
3. Smash a few of the potatoes to release their starch for thickening.
4. Reduce to low heat.
5. Add cream cheese.
6. Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.

The ruling:
I only used a couple tablespoons of minced onion- felt like it ruined the last potato soup I tried to make. This soup is very spicy, but I really like it. I enjoyed the texture of having some of the potatoes smashed. My husband didn't like it, which shocked me. He said all he tastes is the cayenne pepper, and he normally loves spicy stuff. He didn't like having smashed potatoes in the soup- said it tasted gritty. I completely disagree though. I admit it isn't visually stimulating, but I'm not one to add food to a dish just to make it look pretty. I'm going to use the base of this soup and try it again tomorrow. I'm going to add more potatoes, a can of cheddar cheese soup, garlic powder, and use half the cayenne and white pepper. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment