Monday, July 26, 2010

Green Chile Soup #84

I know it's July and not many people want feel like eating soup in July, but in my defense it is a very gloomy, rainy day.  Plus, I love soup and could pretty much eat it anytime, even laying out by the pool!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh green chile peppers
1 (5 ounce) can chunk chicken
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion until transparent. Stir in the garlic, green chiles, chicken meat, and cumin. Cook for one minute to blend the flavors. Stir in the cream of chicken soup and half-and-half. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top with cheese and a dollop of sour cream.


The ruling:
 I used canned green chilies, boiled chicken, no onion, and about half of the called for cumin.  I made the soup according to directions and tasted it.  I felt like it was missing something so I went ahead and added the sour cream and cheese.  It was definitely better with the toppings mixed in.  I liked this soup, but it is by no means the greatest thing that I've ever put in my mouth.  Bottom line, this soup is very easy with common ingredients that I always have on hand, so in a pinch I would make again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment