Thursday, May 5, 2011

Whatever Floats Your Boat Brownies #16

Even though I'm not a big chocolate eater, I love brownies.  These come from food.com.  They were on the list as a bonus recipe of the top 100 recipes of the year.  Not sure if that means they were #11 or what, but needless to say, that is how I found them.  I've never tried making homemade brownies before.  So, I'm excited to try these.  I've really been craving sweets lately, which is shocking for those who know me.  I'm much more of a salty/appetizer loving gal.  I guess it's this pregnancy thing.  I'm not complaining though, there are much worse side effects. :)

The case:
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa 
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 1/2 cup flour 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT: 1 -2 cup chocolate chips (semisweet, white, butterscotch, peanut butter) or 1 -2 cup raisins or 1 -2 cup chopped maraschino cherries or 1 -2 cup choppednuts or 1 -2 cup M&M's or 1 -2 cup Reese's pieces or 1 -2 cup miniature marshmallow
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease an 8 inch square pan or line with foil.
  3. In a medium bowl combine melted butter and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved.
  4. Add sugar and mix well.
  5. Add eggs one at a time and stir until well combined.
  6. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you no longer see any flour (do not overmix).
  7. Fold in "WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT
  8. Spread in pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes. DO NOT OVER-BAKE -- your brownies will come out dry. Adjust time/temp accordingly for your oven. If you do the knife/toothpick test, it should come out with moist crumbs, not clean.
  9. Cool completely before cutting into squares.  For double recipe, bake in 9x12 pan and add 5 minutes to baking time.



The ruling:
For my first whatever floats your boat try, I used 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips.  And yes there will be a 2nd try because these brownies are Super Fantastic!  I had to bake them about 28 minutes and they came out perfectly.  There is no more reason to buy the boxes.  One of the greatest things about this recipe (besides the taste obviously) is I always have all the ingredients at home.  I bought Andes mint chips around Christmas time and never made anything with them.  I'll be trying them in these brownies within the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment