6 tablespoons cubed cold butter
6 bone-in chicken thighs ( or you may use as many that will fit into the baking dish)
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese ( can use more)
1 cup buttermilk
1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, untiluted
1 teaspoon garlic powder ( can use less)
1/2 teaspoon season salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper ( or to taste)
1 pinch cayenne, pepper ( or adjust to suit heat level)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Set oven to 425 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to lowest position.
- Spray an 11 x 7 or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the cubed butter in the baking dish and melt in the oven until hot and bubbly (about 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile place 3/4 cup buttermilk into a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl combine the flour with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- Firstly coat the chicken in buttermilk (allowing excess to drip off) then coat 1 pieces of chicken at a time into the flour mixture.
- Place the chicken into the hot baking dish skin side down in the pan.
- Bake (425 degrees F) for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and continue to bake for another 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile for the sauce; in a bowl mix 1 cup buttermilk with the cream of mushroom soup 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper until smooth, then mix in 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour over and around the chicken then place back in the oven and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining 1/2 cup (or more) cheddar cheese and allow to melt.
I made the recipe according to the directions and served in over egg noodles with lots of the buttery sauce. It was extremely good! Michael couldn't get enough. This will be a regular at our house!