Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day 2011- Broiled Blue Cheese Tomatoes #21

This Memorial day also happened to be my Mom's birthday.  Michael and I had my family over to eat.  We made several of our old favorites including marinated grilled chicken and Alton Brown's Mac and Cheese, but you know I had to make a new recipe as well.  This was featured on Paula Deen's show lately.  I immediately saved it to my recipe box and am happy to be making this delicious sounding combination.

The case:
Ingredients
  • 1 sleeve round buttery crackers, crushed
  • 1 (5-ounce) container crumbled blue cheese 
  • 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled 
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions 
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted 
  • 3 large tomatoes, cut in half crosswise 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 500 F. Line a small rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, blue cheese, bacon, and green onions. Add the butter, stirring to mix well. 
  3. Place the tomatoes, cut sides up, on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the tomato halves evenly with the salt and pepper. Divide the cracker mixture evenly among the tomato halves. 
  4. Broil 5 inches from the heat with the oven door cracked open until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. 

The ruling:
Delicious! Paula has another winner.  I could eat these as my meal alone!  I think this combination of ingredients would be wonderful in a stuffed chicken breast.  I'll have to try that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment