Monday, April 26, 2010

Potatoes au Gratin #55

Cheese and potatoes.  Those two words together make my heart sing.  I've been wanting to try this ever since I found out about The Pioneer Woman.  This was one of the first recipes I printed off her site.  The only problem is, typically scalloped potatoes and I don't get along.  I can never get them to cook enough, and I like my potatoes thoroughly done.  Usually I used (gasp) canned potatoes.  Hopefully this will turn out!

The case:

Ingredients
4 whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean
2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
1-½ cup Heavy Cream
½ cups Whole Milk
2 Tablespoons Flour
4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated

Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish.
3.  Slice potatoes (thin but not too thin), then cut slices into fourths.
4.  In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
5  Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
6. Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
7.  Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling.
8.  Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

The ruling:
I couldn't help myself- I added cheese to the bottom two layers after pouring over the heavy cream mixture.  Isn't that the point of au Gratin potatoes?

Well, all I havta say is YUM YUM YUM!!!!  These were tender and delicious and so quick to make!  This is a new go-to recipe!  The only thing I'll change is to add a little more cheese on the bottom two layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment