Monday, December 28, 2009

Lemon Roasted Chicken 12/28/2009


This is now my second attempt at roasting a chicken. For my birthday, my husband got me this fun pottery roaster, that the chicken stands up in. It has a cavity to put the juice/seasonings into. The recipe I used came from allrecipes.com.

Roasted Lemon Herb Chicken

* 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
* 2 lemons
* 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Combine the seasoning, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder and black pepper; set aside. Rinse the chicken thoroughly, and remove the giblets. Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture inside the chicken. Rub the remaining mixture on the outside of the chicken.
3. Squeeze the juice of the 2 lemons into a small bowl or cup, and mix with the olive oil. Drizzle this oil/juice mixture over the chicken.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until juices run clear, basting several times with the remaining oil mixture.

Ruling: My husband really likes this, but I still don't feel like the flavor was all the way through like it rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. The outside needed a little salt or something else to enhance the flavor. The middle of the chicken tasted like chicken. URGH! What am I doing wrong?! I put olive oil, lemon juice, and the seasoning in the cavity. I know I'll be trying this more throughout the year... Tips would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment