Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Truffle Mac and Cheese 12/30/09


I've heard about truffles from higher-scale cooking shows and seen them on up-scale restaurant menus. My husband has even watched shows about gardening that show how much truffles are worth, and it is ridiculous. Which is why I was super surprised to see truffle oil in my small town Kroger. Now, I know that it is flavored grape oil, but still at $12 for a small bottle, it is a delicacy for around here. I bought some because I just have to try it. I want to try to make a grilled cheese like what was featured on Gossip Girl, but apparently there were real truffles on it. I still found several recipes for grilled cheeses cooked in truffle oil online. Anyways, for Christmas my husband and I went to see the play A Christmas Story in Nashville. Before we went to eat at a nicer restaurant called Boundry. One of the side dishes I got with my meal was truffle mac and cheese. It was by far the best part of my meal. Well I knew what to google as soon as I got home and what I wanted to use my truffle oil for! This particular one comes from Oprah. I decided to use it mainly because it also has goat cheese, another food item I just recently realized I enjoyed.

The case:

Ingredients

* 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
* 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 3 1/2 cups warm milk
* 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
* 3 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
* 4 ounces goat cheese , cut up
* 2 Tbsp. truffle oil (optional)
* 8 ounces macaroni (I used one pound)
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the broiler to 400°. Spray a 4-quart casserole dish or pie plate with cooking spray.

In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and mix together to form a roux. Add half of the warm milk. Using a whisk to make sure you get the sides and bottom of the saucepan, mix well as you add rest of the milk.

Using a wooden spoon, continuously stir the sauce until it begins to thicken and tiny bubbles form on the sides (5 to 6 minutes). Do not boil.

Add salt, pepper, cheddar cheese and goat cheese into the sauce. Mix until completely melted and smooth. Add the truffle oil (optional) and mix well. Cover and set aside.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil (1 tablespoon salt for 3 quarts of water). Cook macaroni according to package directions.

Place the cooked and drained macaroni in a large bowl and pour the cheese mixture over it mixing well. Spoon into casserole dish or a deep-dish pie plate. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top and broil until the top is crusty and golden, approximately 6 to 10 minutes depending on your broiler. Watch it carefully and be careful not to burn it. Serve immediately.

The ruling:
Not a fan. It has a weird taste. I could only eat two bites- not sure if it is the cheese or the truffle oil, but I definitely won't be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment