Sunday, January 13, 2013

Frito Chili Pie

I've made this recipe several times and think I've finally gotten it perfect for our family.  One of the first lessons I learned from Paula Deen was to make a recipe the first time like it's written and experiment the next time.  I can't express how helpful this tip was.  When I first went off to college, I knew very little about cooking.  It really wasn't until I moved in my first apartment and started watching food network that I knew how to do anything.  I used to be an extremely picky eater and didn't feel I could make more recipes because they had things I didn't like in them.  I thought you had to make a recipe exactly like it was written or it wouldn't even come together.  I pretty much thought all recipes were baking recipes. 

The thing that truly makes this chili perfect for me is that I put several of the ingredients into the food processor before adding.  I know I'm weird, but usually I enjoy the tastes of things but don't like the texture.  Feel free to put the Rotel and beans in whole if you're not a weirdo like me!  But this is a smart way to sneak in different foods for kids!

Frito Pie Chili
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 1 can Rotel (I put in food processor first)
  • 1 can (12-14 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 t ground oregano
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 2 cans beans (I use chili and process in food processor first)
  • 1/8 cup cold water
  • 1 T corn starch
  • Fritos
  • sour cream
  • shredded cheese
 Directions:
  1. In a medium pot, brown beef and pork over medium heat.  Drain and return meat to pot.  
  2. Add tomato sauce, Rotel, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings.  Cover and reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Drain and rinse beans.  Add to pot, stirring to combine.  Return lid and simmer 20 minutes.
  4. Mix water and corn starch.  Stir into chili and simmer 10-15 more minutes. 
  5. Serve with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment