This Chicken Noodle Casserole was actually the recipe of the day on All Recipes. I did make a few changes based on what I had on hand and some spices to make it more flavorful. For years, I simply put boneless skinless chicken breasts in boiling water and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Now I flavor my water with a few spices which really enriches the chicken flavor.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- 2 cream of mushroom soups (I use light)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 6 oz egg noodles (I use the whole wheat)
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
- 3 T butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring enough water to cover chicken to a bowl add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Poach chicken for 30-35 minutes. Remove chicken and shred.
- Cook pasta according to directions in water that chicken was boiled in. You'll want it al dente since it will be cooked more in the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine mushroom soups and sour cream.
- Drain pasta and gently mix in shredded chicken. Gently stir in soup mixture.
- Place in 2 quart baking dish. Crush crackers and toss with butter. Sprinkle over casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
This was definitely a step above our old favorite. A yummy comfort food for a cold day. Ryder kept saying cheese as I was taking pictures of this dish, so I had to snap a few of him too!