I have been wanting to try homemade mozzarella sticks for forever, but every recipe I've seen says to place the sticks on a cookie sheet in the freezer before cooking. Well, last week I got a new refrigerator that has the freezer in the bottom. Finally, enough room to place a cookie sheet inside. This particular recipe is the Pioneer Woman's and came from her new cooking share site, Tasty Kitchen. Later this week, I'm going to try Giada De Laurentiis's.
16 pieces String Cheese, Removed From Wrappers
½ cups All-purpose Flour
2 whole Eggs
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs (I Used Kikkomans)
1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley Flakes
Canola Oil, For Frying
Marinara Sauce, For Dipping
1. Slice string cheese pieces in half, for a total of 32 pieces.
2. Place flour in a small bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
4. In another separate bowl, combine panko bread crumbs with parsley flakes.
5. TO ASSEMBLE: One by one, roll mozzarella sticks in flour, then dunk in egg/milk mixture, then place in panko crumbs. Use your hand to sweep crumbs all over the mozzarella stick. Gently remove and place on a tray or cookie sheet. Repeat until all mozzarella sticks are coated.
6. ***Place tray in freezer for 20 to 30 minutes to flash freeze.***
7. TO COOK: Heat 1 1/2 inches canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mozzarella sticks 8 at a time. Watch closely and turn over to evenly brown, cooking less than 2 minutes. Do not allow cheese to bubble and leak.
8. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
9. Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce.
Yummy! I think the breading could use a little more flavor; maybe garlic powder and salt. I loved the crispy texture of the panko bread crumbs. Another winner Pioneer Woman!