Sunday, October 10, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup #96

 I'm simply in a soup mood and trying to figure out a way to eat more vegetables.  What better way to eat broccoli than in a cheese soup?  I have a couple of broccoli cheese soup recipes that I already like, but I feel like there is still a better one out there.

Directions:

1. Cook broccoli until tender& drain.
2. Cook onions in butter until tender& transparent.
3. Stir in flour& cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in grated cheese until smooth.
6. Slowly blend broth into sauce.
7. Add Velveeta cheese and stir until melted.
8. Puree 1/2 cup of the broccoli with a fork (or in the food processor).
9. Cut the rest of the broccoli into pieces.
10. Add all broccoli to the soup.
11. Simmer 15 minutes.
12. You can add more Velveeta for a cheesier flavor.
Ingredients:
1 bunch broccoli
1/2 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
salt and pepper
Velveeta cheese

Ruling:
This is the recipe!  I really think this is the best broccoli cheese soup I've ever had.   It's creamy and thick, full of flavor.  I could just go on and on.  The perfect dish for a cool fall or winter night!  I used two bags of frozen broccoli, no onion, about 2 cups of grated cheddar, and 1 lb of Velveeta.  I will be making this regularly.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the soup recipe, wasn't really thinking soup today, but your broccoli soup looks so welcoming I must try.

    ReplyDelete