This is another one of Pioneer Woman's recipes. It's from her cookbook.
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups uncooked quick or regular grits
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2-4 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to 9 cups of water in a large saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium heat, and pour in the grits. Stir to combine.
2. Cover and finish cooking according to directions. Quick grits take less than 5 minutes, while regular grits take about 15 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat when the grits are done.
4. In a small bowl whisk the eggs.
5. To temper the eggs before adding them to the hot grits, throw a couple of spoonfuls of hot grits into the eggs. Begin stirring immediately and continue stirring until the mixture is well combined.
6. Pour the eggs into the grits.
7. Stir constantly to incorporate the eggs into the grits.
8. Add the butter and stir until melted.
9. Add the cheese. Stir until melted.
10.Add the garlic and cayenne.
11. Stir well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
12. Bake 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This needed more salt but besides that it was good, but not near as good as my dad's mom's. I'll post next time I make them!