Spinach Tomato Tortellini (Adapted slightly from All Recipes)
- 1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Corn starch mixed with water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While you get the tortellini going, combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. (I added the corn starch mixture here because my sauce wasn't very thick.)
- Drain the tortellini, but do not rinse, then pour them into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to coat, and serve.
This was good. I will definitely add more spinach next time, at least double. I think it would be good for kids in the future.