I never liked meatballs until a few years ago. Randomly, I tried one at a banquet catered by the UT dining department of all places. They were delicious. I've been trying to find a good recipe for them ever since.
1 pound ground beef
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
9 drops hot pepper sauce
seasoning salt to taste
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
1 teaspoon mustard powder
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
6 drops hot pepper sauce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, rolled oats, minced onion flakes, hot pepper sauce and seasoning salt. Mix well and form into 1 inch meatballs. Place into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate medium bowl, combine the ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, minced onion flakes, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Mix together well and set aside.
4. Remove meatballs from oven and pour reserved sauce over them. Cover with foil and return to oven.
5. Bake, covered, in a preheated oven for 1 hour.
I was in a hurry so I just made the sauce with frozen meatballs. I threw it all in the crockpot for about 3 hours. These were delicious! I loved the sweet and spicy flavors together. I'm sure they would have been much better with homemade meatballs.