To be completely honest, I'm not a huge peanut fan. I'm not really sure why I'm so intrigued with this recipe, but I am. I have only been to a Thai restaurant once for a friend's birthday in Nashville. (Shout out Mandi P) I guess technically the restaurant was in Franklin, but anyway I loved the chicken and noodle dish I got. I was pregnant- and I mean very pregnant, about 2 weeks away from giving birth. And even though it made my feet and ankles swell (sodium anyone?) I have been thinking about it ever since. This is the first Thai recipe I've come upon since then. I guess that's why I'm so intrigued.
Thai Peanut Noodles from Picky Palate
- 1 lb whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ Cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ Cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Cup finely chopped white onion
- ½ Cup finely chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 1 Cup cooked, shredded chicken breast
- ¼ Cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ Cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook noodles according to package. Drain, rinse with cold water, place in large pasta bowl and toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
- Place garlic and ginger in food processor until well chopped. Add peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Pulse until well combined and slowly add hot water. Set aside.
- Place olive oil in hot skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in chicken breast, cilantro and salt. Stir until heated through.
- Add sauce and chicken mixture to noodles. Toss to coat and garnish with peanuts and sesame seeds if desired.
Okay, this wasn't bad by any means, but the taste wasn't exactly my thing. It was VERY peanuty. But I can see some people enjoying these flavors.
Rating: 3 Stars
Make Again? Probably not but possibly