A couple years ago, my friend, Lindsey, made a recipe similar to this using green beans. One of the foods I loathe in life is green beans. She thought the bacon and sweet sauce would help me get past the green beans, but nope, I strongly disliked her dish. I've never known whether I truly disliked the dish or whether it was simply the green beans I couldn't get past. I am excited to be trying a similar recipe using asparagus (my favorite veggie) instead. This little beauty came from Trisha Yearwood's cookbook.
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1/2 t garlic salt
- 1/2 t ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450
2. Divide asparagus into 12 bundles. Carefully wrap 1 piece of bacon around each bundle, starting from 1/2 inch from the bottom of the tips. Lay the bundles in a low sided casserole dish.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Pour the hot mixture over the asparagus.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the spears have begun to wilt and the bacon is fully cooked.
Yep, it was just the green beans I didn't like! This dish was delicious! Michael raved and raved. I actually only made 3 bundles since it was only the two of us and I didn't think it would be good left over, plus I wasn't sure if I would like it. I didn't want to be wasting two of my favorite things: bacon and asparagus. He was mad I didn't make more. We both would've eaten several of these! The only thing I did differently was to broil for a few minutes before I took it out of the oven to get the bacon a little crispy.