Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls


This is something that I've made about 3-4 times before. I couldn't think of anything better to make on a cold snowy day. Just for the record I hate baking. When I cook I want to eat- the sooner the better- the less steps the better. I get sooo frustrated using yeast. Almost every time I have tried to use it something goes wrong, which is that it doesn't rise. The best trick I've picked up off the internet is to put the covered bowl in the oven with the oven light on. I guess it was so cold today that didn't even work. I had to put my oven on warm to get them to rise. Even though these took me all day to make, they were worth every minute. Delicious! I use a powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk icing, but the original recipe calls for a cream cheese icing.

1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup margarine, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Dissolve yeast in warm milk in Kitchen Aid mixing bowl. Add eggs, butter, salt, and sugar. Slowly add flour while mixing with bread hook. Once combined allow to knead for 10 minutes. Cover and put in a warm area for one hour. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface(I use powdered sugar) In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

My frosting is 2 cups powdered sugar, 4-5 Tablespoons milk, and vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment