Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cinnamon Toast

No food reminds me more of my childhood than cinnamon toast.  I've tried making it several times before, but it has never tasted quite like my Mama's.  Last month I finally got her to come down and show me exactly how she makes it.  I can finally make it just as delicious as her.  Ingredients are one of the most important factors here. I only use Nature's Own Honey Wheat Bread and Land O Lakes spreadable butter.

 

Cinnamon Toast

Ingredients:
  • Bread- only Nature's Own Honey Wheat for me
  • Butter
  • Sugar
  • Cinnamon
First, I take the butter out of the fridge and leave it out on the counter for 5-10 minutes.  This makes it easier to spread on the bread.

Next, I mix my sugar and cinnamon together.  Yes, this is very important.  Don't waste money on the premade stuff- that was my biggest mistake over the years.  The sugar/cinnamon ratio is off in the mix you buy at the store.  I don't have exact measurements for this, but first I put the sugar in a bowl.  Then, I whisk in the cinnamon.  Don't be shy with the cinnamon.  It is the star of the show!  You want your mixture to be a light tan.
After the butter has softened, go ahead and butter the bread.
 Next, sprinkle on a heavy helping on the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Next broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes.  Make sure you watch it!  The longer you leave it in the toastier the bread and cinnamon sugar mixture will be.  Leave it less time if you like it softer.

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE cinnamon toast at our home too. My favorite part of this post is that you had your Mama come down and teach you how to make it just like hers.

    .mac :)

    ReplyDelete