Saturday, January 19, 2013

Egg in a Hole


For the longest time (since about 6 months ago), if I was going to eat an egg, I wanted to eat it scrambled.  I had no desire to even taste a runny yolk.  In college we used to go this little hole-in-the-wall grille that served a burger called the One Eyed Jack.  It had a fried egg on it.  Michael always got it and ranted and raved about how tasty it was.  Well 5 years later, this past fall actually, I decided to try a similar burger while visiting a burger joint in Charleston.  Ummmm..... Best Burger of My Life!!!!  I still think back to how delightfully delicious that burger was.  Well up until today that was still the only fried egg I'd ever had.  Having ingredients on hand is my number one reason to cook a dish, and today's Egg in a Hole was no exception.  I had eggs and bread that were about to go bad and I needed a quick lunch.  It's much harder to do anything on time with 2 kids!  Plus I've been eying this recipe since I got Pioneer Woman's cookbook several years ago.

The case: 
Egg in a Hole Adapted Slightly from: Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
  • Slices of any kind of bread (I used regular honey wheat)
  • Eggs
  • Butter
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Directions:
  1. With a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, press a hole in the center of the slice of bread.
  2. Next, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and melt a Tablespoon of butter in it. When the butter is all spread out, place the piece of bread in the skillet and crack the egg straight into the center of hole. 
  3. Cook for about a minutre or so before attempting to move the bread or things could get messy. Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper to taste. After about a minute, flip it over with a spatula and salt and pepper the other side.  Add another dab of butter.
  4. Now move the whole piece of toast around the skillet, soaking up all of the glorious butter. Let it cook until the yolk feels, to the touch, still soft without feeling over-jiggly. (Or cook to your liking)




The ruling:
Recently Michael and I've started giving a number to the new recipes I try and to our regular standbys.  We've been numbering them from 1-10.  Recipes that I make regularly that we enjoy have been getting a 7-8.  He's really tough.  It's got to be something very special to get higher than that.  Well, this my friends, got a 9!  5 ingredients that almost every household has got a 9!  ingredients that I can throw together and cook in 10 minutes got a 9!  I think that's enough said!

No comments:

Post a Comment